Sunday, August 31, 2008

COOKING UP ROMANCE !

Sanjeev
Sanjeev Kapoor
Not tonight darling, I'm too tired', was the dreaded bedroom line, which could dampen the ardour of most men.

Wives, tired after a daylong drudgery, were huge turnoffs for most men. But, in a role reversal of sorts, today we have a more helping variety of husbands who don't mind sharing the household chores with their wives. And they are handsomely rewarded for it too, as women find them very sexy.

According to a study conducted by the University of Michigan's Institute for Social Research, when a man cooks and cleans in the house, women consider it to be an expression of his concern, as it physically reduces their stress. The study reveals that such men are considered to be very sexy by the womenfolk. TOI checks out with some city women, if the formula works for them too.

Lovely feeling

Though most of the people don’t really love the housework, yet there’s no denying the fact that it is an important part of life and does influence relationships.

Nagpur-based interior designer Swati Kriplani says, "It's a lovely feeling when my husband helps me around the house. It makes me feel so pampered. The mornings are very hectic for me. Many a time, it so happens that my husband Vinay makes tea or even breakfast for himself if I am in the gym, or just rushing out of the house. It definitely keeps our relationship healthy because such gestures show that he cares for me and values the work that I put in."

Pleasant surprise

She might be adorned with adjectives like a multitasker, yet the truth remains that along with her professional duties, a woman has to bear the extra burden of household chores as well. In such a situation, a wee bit of help from the man can go a long way in soothing the frayed nerves.

Interior designer Aditi Daga says that every woman needs to feel pampered once in a while. "In the six years of my married life, many times I have cribbed over the work pressure and the drudgery of attending to cooking after a long day at work. But, I remember once I returned late after attending a baby shower, and as I entered home the thought of cooking bogged me down. But, to my surprise I found that my husband had cooked the entire meal and laid it on the table. Seeing the expression of surprise on my face, he said, 'See, I too can do it sometimes.' This has happened just twice in the past six years, but it made me feel so special," she gushes.

In each other’s shoes

But, good things don't last forever. So, the love and care shown by the men by helping in household work is also short-lived and happens in spurts. Says Nandini Babhulkar, a Nagpur-based paediatrician, "My husband Sushrut used to help me when we were newlywed. But, now it is rare for him to do so. He is a good cook and had promised to cook breakfast for me on my birthday, but that did not happen as he had to attend to an emergency at the hospital. I think it is good to be in each other's shoes once in a while, as it creates a better understanding."

Saying that it gives the woman a big sense of relief if the husband is competent enough to handle the kitchen, career counselor, Sapna Sharma says, "I have very busy schedules, but I have never worried about who would cook or take care of the kids, as my husband takes care of all these things. I know I can depend on him and that makes me so happy."

‘It adds to your sex appeal’

Celebrity chef Sanjeev Kapoor on men with culinary expertise: "Men who cook must be considered sexy because I
have a huge female fan following! But jokes apart, cooking involves a lot of experimentation and innovation. And if a man is able to conjure up a tasty dish, then it does add to his sex
appeal.”

No comments: